In our daily quest to live a healthy lifestyle, we are often presented with situations where our physicality may be quite lacking. We try to exercise day in and day out, but we tire easily and sometimes wonder how other people are able to endure the amount of daily activities they do. At the end of the day, we get diminished as we are not able to perform as much as we have thought.
If you are one of those persons who are on and off the gym or are having difficulties maintaining a fitness routine, then you know precisely what we’re getting at. Similarly, if you are a mom with a very active kid, you might also realize that you are not able to keep up with them because you just do not have the energy.
Perhaps you easily get tired, irritated, are generally grumpy or show signs of aging as early as now. These are just some of the things that you might experience if you are not exercising. But if you are always hitting the gym but are not even making an effort to improve your physical endurance, then we have a problem.
There are several reasons why you should improve your physical endurance, mainly:
- To be able to exercise effectively. It is important to note that endurance is crucial in maintaining physical fitness. You will not be able to last long in the training sessions if your stamina is very low. No stamina ergo no drive and power to even create movement, and we get this by having a sedentary lifestyle. And if this is the case, even if you drink a gallon of energy boosting drink, it would still not give you the energy or capacity required for your activities.
- Reduce the risk of injuries. Regular endurance training will help your body to improve performance. Your muscles when properly worked out or stretched are developed, increasing the range of motion, thus, decreasing the discomfort brought about by the exercise. This is the reason why we warm up or do stretches before the actual exercise; to give ample time for our muscles and other body parts to adjust.
- Better emotional disposition. Simply put, people who exercise exhibit a positive vibe. This may be due to the hormones released by our body during exercise, Endorphins, or the happy hormones.
- It also gives you that youthful glow. Aside from Endorphins, the body also produces an increased amount of Human Growth Hormones when exercising. So go on, do another lap on the pool, or run another mile, it’s going to make you look and feel much younger than you are.
- Staying in shape. Generally, all exercises are aimed at getting in shape. You want to lessen your risk of getting serious diseases, be able to go around with much ease even as you get a little older, and admit it or not, if you are in shape you feel more confident to do anything.
Plus as an added perk, most endurance trainings are generally fun and you could easily gain new friends while doing them, because more and more people are getting into it. Have you ever seen the number of marathons and triathlons happening lately? Huge population are joining because it is fairly easy to start and maintain.
So what do you need to do to improve your endurance?
- Mix up cardio and strength exercises. It is a good rule of thumb to not just work on a certain focus area, but involve all of your body in increasing your endurance.
- Break routines. Routines are a great way to jumpstart your fitness journey but you have to branch out and innovate. You have to determine ways on how to increase the intensity of your workout to achieve the results you require.
- Lessen the time allotted for rests. We are not saying eliminate the intervals on your workout, but determine how to maximize it by placing it in ideal areas. Rest is important for your body to adjust accordingly, but if you take it in appropriate intervals you would be able to notice the huge effect it brings on your stamina.
In conclusion, we believe that there’s a great potential for people working out to benefit from endurance training. It does not matter what your sport or weight goal is, you need to include improving your endurance in your training sessions so you could get the most out of it.